• Türkçe
  • English
  • German
  • Netherland

History & Region

The Latmos mountains or Besparmak in Turkish was with his 1300 meter high peaks visible from all sides since ancient times one of the largest fertility cult centers of Anatolia. Here, the Anatolian weather god was worshiped together with a local mountain god. In the course of Greek migration to Asia Minor came to replace these deities Zeus and Endimion, according to Greek mythology, the beloved of the moon goddess Selene.

This imposing mountain and its summit is probably the people of the 6th / 5 Millennium BC. so affected that they have brought this sensibility to the rock paintings in the caves of this area expressed. In the last 15 years were found in our area about 200 of these rock paintings. In these caves were probably adored the weather gods and the gods Latmischen.

Another very important customer of the early history of our area is found in 2000, "cartridge" of the Hittite Grosssprinzen Kupanta-Kurintiya. This ruler seal from the late 14th Century 's BC is probably understood as a boundary stone, and marked the southern boundary of the Hittite vassal state Mira.

Just above our village, in an inaccessible slope was the Carian settlement Latmos; Vorgaengerstadt the Hellenistic Heraclea. It was probably during Colonization of the ionic end of the 2nd Jt 's BC. established by the displaced from the coast Carians. Typical of the construction of houses of this settlement is the inclusion of the rock. This settlement was around 300 BC. abandoned when Pleistarch, one of the generals of Alexander the Great, the Hellenistic city founded Pleistarcheia. The name of Heraclea developed later. To distinguish this city from other cities of Asia Minor the same name, was the city as a "named Heraclea on Latmos.

Heraclea Pleistarch made it the capital of the territory under his control of Caria. After the grid system of Staedteplaners Hippodamus of Miletus, the city was greatly extended at this time. The public and religious buildings are situated in the center of the large agora. For a long time, this place was the playground of some time ago abandoned village school. The landmark of the city and the main sanctuary was built on a rocky hilltop temple of Athena Latmia.

His status as a holy mountain of Latmos preserved in the Middle Ages. In the 7th Century AD. here were monks who were expelled from the Sinai Peninsula and found refuge and founded several monasteries. The most famous of which is the Stylos monastery was dedicated to the Paulos the Younger. It is located near the summit of Latmos and is only an arduous journey of several hours to reach. If you have no desire for such a long hike, then we recommend the Yediler monastery, the largest of the surviving monasteries.

The Western world became aware of this cultural area for the first time after the reports of the trip Englaender R. Pococke, described in the year 1740 in his Reiseberich the region of Bahia. The major contribution to the notice to the european scientists, we have again an Englishman, thanks to Richard Chandler. Thorough scientific research was begun in 1905 by the German Theodor Wiegand but these were soon interrupted by the war. In 1974, the investigations were taken over by Anneliese Peschlow-Bindokat continued.

The area of Bafa Lake at the same time one of the most important protected areas in Turkey and was explained in 1994 as "National Park". Until the Roman period into the lake was actually a gulf of the Aegean Sea and on Latmos Heraclea was an important harbors the vast hinterland. The River Meander Aluvionen have, over time the connection of this Latmischen Gulf to the open sea and blocked sodurch formed this lake. Apart from a few brooks and springs fed today Meander of the lake with its water during the floods in the spring. The lowest point is the lake is 25 m, but the depth of the lake in the range of about 1-2 meters. The lake has four islands. The west coast is a swampy area and quite shallow. The Serçin lake, which forms when a small cove north after, beswonders is rich in plankton and Wassergewaechsen.

When the Meander formerly led more water, the lake was well fed, and sometimes even the lake connects to the Meander. To assess the land between the lake and the river for cotton cultivation, was built in 1985, a long causeway. The lake was once owned by a private owner, and all the Fischereiaktivitaeten were under a monopoly. In 1978 the lake was nationalized ind fisheries has been adopted by farmers' cooperatives. On the canal, which forms the connection of the lake with the Meander, there is a simple fish-trap system.

Around the lake are around tamarisk, olive groves and pine forests. Bafa Lake, together with the delta of the Meanders an ecological system, and serves as a suitable Brüt many migratory birds and wintering ..

Rancho La Peregrina
Rancho La Peregrina